Comparing. It's something I do a LOT.
I probably do it in every area of my life: sports, school, singing, writing, clothing, what I eat, who I hang out with... you name it. Let me just start off by saying this. Comparison is your biggest enemy. Why? Because it causes two very dangerous things. Pride and the jealousy. There will ALWAYS be someone below you. Always. Compared to someone, you will always have a nicer house, phone, car, or pair of shoes. It's just a fact of life. When I compare what I have or how I look or dress with someone with less than me, a seed of pride instantly starts brewing inside of me. All it takes is one glance at a person that isn't as "cool" as you and bam. You think of yourself as better right away. At least I do.
And how about the other way around? Compared to someone with more, you will never have enough. EVER. Their stuff will always be better, no matter how hard you try. For me, I get jealous. I want what they have. I'm no longer content with how much I actually have. I just want what they have, and I want it now. If I see someone who is naturally better and school, or soccer, or who knows what- I get annoyed. Jealous. Mad. Like, "how dare you be better than me, without even trying?" Man. That gets me every time.
You see, comparison is a lose-lose situation. You compare with someone below you and you get prideful. You compare with someone better than you and you get jealous. What's the best way to not have those feelings? JUST DON'T DO IT. Sooo much pride and jealousy can be eliminated if we simply just don't compare with others. God has blessed each and everyone one of us with SO much. How could we say that what he has given us isn't enough? Or it isn't fair? Or start to get prideful because God "blessed us more"? UM NO. That's really not ok. At all. My next question I ask myself is how can I change. Well folks, I can tell you right now, you can't do it on your own. The only way to really achieve contentment in life is through Jesus Christ. He is the perfect source of everything you need! When feelings of pride and jealously arise- surrender them to Christ. He can fill lose areas in your life with humility and thankfulness.
Comparison is a risky road to travel. My advice is just don't do it. And when it does creep up in your life- surrender it to Jesus.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting! I always appreciate feedback. :]