Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What are Your "When's"?


You know what bugs me?
When people automatically assume that they will do something, especially when it relates to getting married or having kids.

Now let me back up and explain myself, because that was a very harsh and broad statement. :) Something in me cringes every time I hear the words, "When I get married..." or "When I have kids" or "When I get that job". Now don't get me wrong- those are wonderful things! Yet I have trouble freely saying those words. My mind has now been trained to say "if". Because, quite frankly, I do not know what lies ahead. I have no CLUE where I'll be in 8 years. To me, "if" sounds a whole lot nicer than "When I..". As I was thinking about this, my mind was continually brought back to a passage of scripture in James. (I think bringing an issue back to the Word of God is the best route!)
James 4:15-16 says- "Instead you out to say 'IF the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.' As it is, you boast in your arrogance."
Let me tell you. I am 100% guilty of this. I make plans, even if it's just for the next month, automatically assuming that it will work out all fine and dandy. Of course, I think: I'll go to college, get a job, start a career, or whatever it might be. Wait, hold the phone. I should be thinking, "if the Lord wills"! This life is not our own. I continually have to surrender the "when's" in my life and let them become the "ifs"

What "when's" do you have in your life?


1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! I always appreciate feedback. :]