Monday, July 28, 2014

threads.

Do you ever wait for a big "God Moment"? Do you ever go into camp, or a missions trip, waiting for your big moment with God?
I've had thoughts like that before. I have tried to train myself out of the thinking that God gives us a rush of spiritual emotion and then is done; but sometimes it randomly crops up in my brain. This summer was quite a contrast to that. Rather than dumping a huge deposit on top of my head, the Lord gently wove threads of truth through the tapestry of my life. It was never one week, one day, or even one moment that was "it".
Fast forward to now: I'm back.
Three weeks later, I've returned from the wonderful grounds of Camp Barakel. It doesn't get much better than inhaling the fresh, pine-scented air or gazing across a peaceful Shear Lake. Each day was filled with lots and work and service. But that's the great part. We signed up to do that. We signed up 1, 2, or even 6 weeks of the summer to serve. And personally, its one of the best things you can ever do with your summer. It was during these days that God taught me so much. Instead it was many minutes at different times and different places that He turned into moments- and usually when I least expected them. Right when I was wiping a counter or putting away leftovers. God works whenever and where ever He chooses. And (of course) those end up being the best times ever.
The easiest and coolest way to explain this is through a story. Plus, who doesn't love a good story? This past week, there was a girl that I got the pleasure of working with. To my knowledge, she just received Christ personally the week before and is very new in her faith. For a few, brief minutes, I got to open up my bible with her and just go through the very, very basics. I showed her passages about the law, and now, because of Christ's ultimate sacrifice for us, we no longer are under those insane rules. I got to flip through the pages of Acts with her and tell her the story of Saul's conversion to Paul. Side note: that has got to be one of the coolest stories of all time. Seeing her eyes hunger for the Word- there's nothing like it. There are very few things as amazing as seeing a baby Christian hunger for the Bread of Life. And let me tell you, this whole scenario was only 10 or 15 minutes. The rest of what I got to experience was just in her daily life. I got to watch her grow and learn how to serve Christ well. A few of us had the privilege of praying for her as she went back home. Is God awesome, or is God awesome? I'm going to go with C, all of the above. He is so, so good. Folks, this was just one of many "threads". I could go on. It's so neat to see God reveal Himself to me in the typical routine, the seemingly normal daily life.
So often I'm waiting for a dump truck to roll in when He's expertly weaving a tapestry far more beautiful than I could ever imagine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always appreciate feedback. :]