Monday, December 23, 2013

The Prodigal God

The Prodigal Son. A popular parable that we all know pretty well. A story of a son who takes his father's inheritance, runs and blows it, returns home and is forgiven. Very sentimental and heartwarming.
I watched a different spin on this story yesterday. Tim Keller, a really great pastor and teacher, has a book called the Prodigal God. In order to fully understand what that means, watch the link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95h6ssmJEc I know its 30 something minutes, but let me tell you it is WORTH it! We watched it as our church since the weather was so bad. If you have some extra time this Christmas break (which we all do:), you will not regret watching this.


I'm here to tell you that the story of the Prodigal son is about more than just one son. It's about TWO. Remember the other older brother? The self righteous one who was mad when the younger one came back and was welcomed so lavishly? Let me tell you, that's me. I'm the older brother. I'm the one who feels gipped when off-the-deep-end sinners are accepted so freely when I've been following God my whole life practically! I want life to be fair and for everyone to have to do what I did. I don't like the idea of grace all the time. Yet isn't that ironic because that's the only thing saving me from myself? Grace is saving me from ME! I would be so hopelessly lost without the grace of God.
Back to the story- about the older son. In those days, it was expected that the elder brother would take care of the younger, and when he ran off, it should have been his duty to go find him. Yet that's not what he does. Jesus paints this picture of a poor older brother so we can see the perfect example of the the best older brother: JESUS. HE came after us when we were dead in our sin! We were off in the pig sty and he found US. I DID NOTHING. And He did everything. He is the Prodigal God. He brought us back and gave us sandals and a robe, and threw us a lavish feast. When I was stuck in my "goodie too shoes" self-righteousness he saved my from myself. I can't think of a better gift than that. Jesus came to earth as a baby, and lived a completely spotless life just to be our older brother. How amazing is that! He went after us when we were nothing worth going after for!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always appreciate feedback. :]