Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Problem With New Year's Resolutions

It's about that time again. 2013 has almost come to a close, and people begin to look ahead to 2014, tomorrow! People reflect on their favorite times from the past year and plan new resolutions to have a great new year. I do the same thing! And it got me thinking about resolutions, and the mysterious problem that lies behind them.
The problem with new year's resolutions is that the person plans to achieve, conquer, or succeed in a certain area of life; losing weight, eating more healthy foods, organizing their house, talking to old friends, picking up a new hobby, you name it. We all have them. And there's nothing wrong with the thing on the outside. The issue is what's behind it. We try to achieve these things primarily on our own. We think that if we just use enough willpower- bam. Then we can conquer our resolution. But, ever wonder why most resolutions die off around February? That's why. People are trying to muster up enough strength to just get it done. And yet it always fails.
Let me tell you, there is an easier way to go about this. If you rely daily on Christ to give you the strength, patience, and endurance to complete what you've started, He will help you! We have an accessible, approachable, all powerful God that loves us with an indescribable love. This promise is so encouraging to me, especially when I'm close to giving up. I run out of my own will power, and then there's nothing left. And that's where I go wrong. There is something, someone left! Jesus. Our resolutions, dreams, and aspirations must be centered on the sufficiency of Christ, otherwise we will fail every time. Thankful for a God who cares about the tiniest things, like me! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always appreciate feedback. :]